- LO1: Construct a relational data model (entity relationship diagram)
- LO2: Apply the techniques of normalisation to 3NF
- LO3: Use SQL DML to query a relational database
- LO4: Explain the role of concurrency control and database recovery in large a scale database environment
BNU CO558 Module Plan 2018-2019
- 30% TCA Normalisation | 30% TCA ERD | 25% TCA SQL | 15% TCA DB Transactions
Module Weekly Plan
|1||Oct 04||Intro to Relational Databases||Exercise 1|
|2||Oct 11||Flat Files & Normalisation||1NF: Normalisation Examples|
|3||Oct 18||Normalisation 2NF and 3NF||2NF and 3NF Examples|
|4||Oct 25||Data Environment and Data Modelling||Normalisation Examples|
|5||Nov 01||Normalisation and Modelling||Modelling McDonalds|
|6||Nov 08||ERD Case Studies||ERD Diagrams|
|7||Nov 15||Normalisation & ERD||TCA 1|
|8||Nov 22||Introduction to SQL||SQL Queries|
|9||Nov 29||SQL Queries CRUD||SQL Queries|
|10||Dec 06||SQL Join Queries||SQL Queries|
|11||Dec 13||Advanced SQL||TCA 2 ERD|
|12||Dec 20||Transaction Management||TCA 3 SQL|
|13-15||Jan 10 - Jan 29||
- Book Modern Database Management (11th Edition) by Jeffrey Hoffer, V Ramesh, Heikki Topi, published by Pearson Education Limited (2013).
- Book Database Systems (6th Edition) Thomas Connolly, Carolyn Begg, published by Pearson Education Limited (2015).
- Tutorials Visual Paradigm Tutorials on all features, you will need Use Case Diagrams, ERD, User Stories and Agile for this module and CO567 and CO550.
- Wesbite TutorialsPoint: Learn DBMS
- Video Introduction to Databases: a good introduction (37 mins) to the main concepts of why databases are better than spreadsheets (you do not need to understand SQL)
- Video DBMS: Fundamental Concepts
- Tutorial How to Draw use Entity-Relationship Diagrams in Visual Paradigm showing you the basics.
- Video The Relational Model a good and detailed (47 minutes) explanation of the concepts Entity-Relational Modeling
- Article Government Advice on UK Addresses a good summary of the different ways of storing UK addresses in a database
- Article The Royal Mail's PAF (Postal Address File) PAF contains over 29 million uk addresses, and can be used to verify customer addresses. For guidance on how to use it as a programmer see Programmer's Guide to PAF
- Article Post Code Format An explanation of how to validated uk post codes
- Model Answer ERD of Students enrolling in Courses at Oaklands College
- Data Generator An online realistic data generator for testing databases.